So last Friday the hubs and I went to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier, courtesy of Shout Media. It was a fun night out, we had a great Laksa beforehand, and it was screened in a licensed theatre, so you could have a beer or glass of wine while you enjoyed the big screen. I really enjoyed the movie, it had an interesting story line and fantastic production values, but the thing I liked most was watching the true Marvel Fans enjoying themselves. There were people with Marvel t-shirts, socks, jackets and bags; and even a few Marvel tattoos on parade. One guy in particular was having the time of his life – laughing, cheering, even clapping occasionally. When the Winter Soldier’s mask is finally ripped off to reveal his true identity, the loud gasp from this fellow made the entire audience laugh. It was a beautiful moment.
Essentially the movie is a battle of good versus evil, with Captain America on the side of good, of course. It’s not so clear cut where some of the other characters alliances lie, which makes for interesting viewing. I loved the movie, and my only complaint is that Tony Stark did not once make an appearance. Boo!
- There is a lot, I mean A LOT of gun shooting in this movie. There is also a lot of fighting action. Yes, I hear you saying ‘No shit Sherlock!’ but in all honesty I don’t think this would be suitable for smaller children. Obviously that is your decision, this is my opinion only. There is no swearing that I can recall and one, fully clothed, kiss. The US rating is PG13, if that helps.
- I’ve never been into Captain America, but after watching this movie I can certainly see the attraction of him, and it’s not just his swoon worthy rugged handsomeness. It’s his old fashioned values. He is an absolute gentleman and his moral compass (ahem) is always pointing due north. I like that he doesn’t sacrifice his manners even when he is defending the people of the world against evil forces.
- Robert Redford is one dry witted, smooth, silver fox. He’s still got it going on. This will be of interest if you want Grandma to take the kids to the movies during the school holidays.
- Sebastian Stan, who plays the Soviet Agent known as The Winter Soldier, is seriously hot. Honest. The hubs had me going that he was a proffesional fighter (because I totally know all about that) He was in Black Swan and Hot Tub Time Machine.
- If you are a Nick Fury fan, prepare yourself emotionally for a bit of a roller coaster ride. You might need tissues, and then a bit of a calm down. Did you know that the character Nick Fury was inspired BY Samuel L Jackson? No wonder it is perfect casting.
- The Falcon (Anthony Mackie) is a super nice guy and the CGI that gives him wings is a pleasure to watch. It makes me want to strap on those wings and soar in the sky, but not with anyone shooting at me.
- Scarlett Johansson is a really great actress! I kept laughing at her sarcastic one liners and thinking how different the Black Widow is from her character in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
- If the Crossbones character has a face you’ve seen before and it’s driving you nuts because you cannot remember where you know it from, the answer might be Nick Monohan from The Gates, a vampire/werewolf soap opera on late night TV. This comment might be giving away a bit of my viewing habits, but there you go.