I know, you are thinking more Hommus, Mrs BC? Really? And you would be right – but this was too good not to share, and after this I’ll stop, promise.
- buy a packet of falafel mix from the supermarket, and make it according to the instructions on the box. Generally it will be ‘mix contents with 200 ml of water, let sit for 10 mins’ Gourmet, yes?
- Instead of forming in into patties and frying them, place it on a pizza tray covered with oven bake, and use a spoon to push it into a flat circle.
- Drizzle with oil, and bake in a hot oven for 10-15 mins.
- Blend 2 tins of drained chickpeas with the juice of 1 lemon, a good glug of olive oil, salt and garlic.
- That’s it.
Tabbouleh inspired Salad
- Mix chopped tomatoes, thinly sliced shallots (spring onions) and chopped parsley with a little slick of olive oil, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of white wine vinegar, because you have run out of lemon.
- Or just buy some tabbouleh if you want!
- Take falafel base out of oven, slide off the baking paper onto a serving platter. If it sticks, use a knife to gently loosen it.
- Smooth a thick layer of hommus over the top, as if it was pizza sauce.
- Heap the salad in the middle, garnish with olives or more hommus if you like.
- Slice into wedges like a pizza, and serve!
The base will not be as sturdy as actual pizza, so it is definitely something you eat with a fork.
(joining up to Meatless Monday!)