The perfect winter warmer for these chilly nights! I started cooking this early on in my married life, because although I might have been sick to death of BBQ’d lamb chops, my New Zealand raised husband wasn’t. These days it is a family favourite. Leave a little fat on the lamb, it adds to the flavour.
Italian Style Lamb Chops
- 4 large lamb chops (or 6 small ones, or whatever you like)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- a tablespoon of minced garlic
- a glass of wine (and another for you)
- small handful of chopped rosemary
- olive oil
- 2 small anchovies (optional, but you won’t taste them)
- Saute the onions and anchovies in olive oil until the onions are soft and the anchovies have disintegrated.
- Sear the chops on each side, moving the onions around to get them out of the way. You will need to do this in two or more batches. The chops don’t have to be seared perfectly, the important thing is to not burn the onions or they will be bitter.
- Well done, have a glass of wine! Add the other glass full to the pot and stir it around to get all the bits off the bottom.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic and rosemary, put the lid on and let it simmer slowly on the stove top for at least 30 minutes, you might need to stir it occasionally if the chops start to stick. If it looks too watery leave the lid half off to let some liquid evaporate.
- Turn the heat off for 10 minutes and let it rest before you serve, it will make the chops tender and delicious. Serve with mashed potatoes and some steamed green vegetables.