We had a lovely Christmas. Lots of friends, family, presents, and of course – food. LOTS of food. After a few days of eating leftovers we where crying out for some vegetables and this did just the trick.
Turkey Stirfry with Broccoli and Almonds
- Leftover roast turkey, chopped or shredded, about 2 cups worth.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower, cut into florets. I used half a head of each.
- Leftover flaked almonds, about a small handful.
- 1 finely chopped spring onion.
- a small glug of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each of white sugar, stock powder, soy sauce, plain flour, sherry or Chinese cooking wine mixed together with half a cup of water.
- Steam Broccoli and Cauliflower in the microwave for a few minutes until tender. I wanted this dinner to be on the table quickly and these veggies sometimes takes forever in the wok!
- Heat the oil in a wok, and toss the turkey over high heat to warm it up.
- Add steamed veggies and toss a bit longer.
- Now add in that cup of strange ingredients. This sauce is a bit pretend-Chinese, and is called Crystal Sauce. Continue stirring over high heat until the sauce thickens and there is a thin glossy coating of sauce on everything.
- Stir the almonds through everything, and top with chopped green onions.
I served this with plain steamed rice to make it a bit more substantial for my Christmas-Candy-Crazed children. You can use any vegetable you like, I would have added sliced carrot and baby corn if I had any. One of my favourite things to do with this sauce is add a teaspoon of minced garlic, but there is no way the youngest monkey will put up with such nonsense. The sacrifices we make!
Hope you Christmas was lovely.